Add a Spicy Kick to Your Tailgate
After the dog days of summer are over, football fans rejoice as the leaves begin to turn and the days turn cooler. This means that football season is about to takeover your weekends with friends, fun and delicious tailgate foods. Want an appetizer that’s a touchdown with your crew? Try this delicious Buffalo chicken wing dip that will give you all the flavors of everyone’s favorite wings without the deep-fried greasy mess.
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie is fine to save time)
- 12 ounce bottle hot sauce
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces bleu cheese salad dressing
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- If you have an oven at your disposal, preheat to 350 degrees. If not, get your grill going on medium heat.
- Make sure your cream cheese is nice and soft. Leave it out at room temperature for approximately 1 hour prior to beginning recipe.
- In a large bowl, mix together your cooked, shredded chicken, celery and cheese until well combined. In another large bowl stir together softened cream cheese, hot sauce (use only 1/2 bottle if you want a milder dip), and bleu cheese dressing. Add the shredded chicken mixture to the cream cheese, hot sauce and bleu cheese mixture one cup at a time until fully combined.
- Pour entire batch into a casserole dish or 13″ x 9″ baking pan, and cook uncovered for 40 minutes, or until top is slightly browned and bubbly. If you’re using a grill to cook, place the dip on indirect heat and close the top for 40 minutes, checking during the last 20 minutes of cooking time to see if top has browned.
- Serve with tortilla chips, sliced baguettes or veggies. This dip can also be pre-made at home in the oven, and then warmed through on the grill. It’s also great cold, so no matter which way you serve it, it will be gone quickly.
If you’re looking to really amp up the heat, try stuffing the dip into halved, seeded jalapeños and then putting them on the grill for 3-5 minutes on direct heat, and then another 5 minutes on indirect heat to melt the dip. Make sure you wear gloves when handling the jalapeños or else your friends will not appreciate your post-game high fives!